Wednesday 7 March 2012

The world makes me feel sick.

The media makes me sick, the cynicism makes me sick, the injustice and the corruption makes me sick. You want to know the worst part? I'm the worst part. I am a self absorbed, middle income westerner with no idea about the real issues and consequences in the world. I am an uneducated, naive child who many look down upon for trying to help.

So what do I do? Do I ridicule the charities promoted to us and risk ignoring a cause I could understand and help? Or do I dive right in to whatever cause catches my interest, ignoring the condescending naysayers?

I'm thoroughly confused. I've held a distant interest in The Invisible Children for a couple of years, monitoring their influence on the deployment of US troops into Uganda. I have jumped on board the Kony 2012 bandwagon because a few extra voices will do nothing but benefit the issue. But I'm not totally blinded by the flashy MTV-styled short film. I did my research, I know that Kony has moved out of Uganda, I know that his forces are depleted and struggling but I also know that he's not arrested and locked up yet. So what's a girl to do?

I know what I'm going to do. I'm ignoring all the fuckwits and supporting whatever I want to support, including Kony. I'm also going to support any other cause I see fit, whether it seems trivial to others or not. I'm going to start believing in myself and what I think is important.


This year, I'm important. It's also going to be Emma 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment